On Wednesday 20 March 2002 15:40, Simon Blake wrote:

> I have a vague memory of somebody explaining to me that that the
> reason that 2.2.x is so much bigger is because it has a bunch of
> backwards compatibility stuff in it to allow binaries linked against
> 2.0.x to continue to work.  So if one was to go through and rebuild
> all the binaries in bering against 2.2, then the 2.2 could be cut
> down to a size not too much bigger than the current 2.0 libc.  But I
> could be on crack.

I investigated libc 2.2 when it first came out and all pointers to the
bloat was support for both 32-bit and 64-bit processors. If you could
drop the 64-bit support out of the source you would likely reduce a
huge amount of compiled code (this may be a config option).
I could be on crack myself though, this information was skimmed from
a similar discussion on a libc newsgroup post.
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!