> So I came up with the next Idea:
> http://wolzak.de/leaf/config2.jpg

I like this better.  Another thing I'd like to see in all architecture
discussions of a configuration system is alternate display front/back
ends.

I'd like to see a simple text menu type system that could extend and
replace lrcfg, not just web-only configuration.  This would require a
configuration engine with a standard interface, which is pretty much
what you've got drawn in config2:

"Writing Webpage" - The output of the "parsing" block can be processed
and turned into a text screen, html page, text-to-voice translator for a
telephone interface, or whatever someone decides they want to code :-)

Conversely, in the "Writing Config File" branch, the input to the
"combine layout with vars" block should easily be able to come from
something other than a CGI script.

As long as the interface is simple and consistent, presenting the
information to the user in the form of HTML, full-screen text menus,
line-based interface (aka brain-dead serial terminal), or whatever (and
linking the users response back to the configuration sub-system) should
be fairly straight-forward.

Charles Steinkuehler