Alex

(crossposting to leaf-devel)

At 08:29 29.12.2003 +0100, Alex Rhomberg wrote:
>>  Hello. I'm runnig Bering 1.2 with 3 NIC's and wireless access on DMZ.
>> Since I put third NIC I noticed message on boot:
>> ip_conntrack_ftp -find: /proc/19764 No such file or directory
>> Using /lib/modules/ip_conntrack_ftp.o
>> And everything runs no problems. Anybody has any idea what causes this
>> message?
>
>Just gessing from the error message, some script on the boot up does a find
>in /proc. The /proc/19764 directory is the one containing the info about the
>running process with pid 19764. The error message likely appears because the
>process 19764 ends during the find. It is very unlikely that the find needs
>to look in the process directories at all, that's why everything works fine.

I looked into the corresponding script (/etc/init.d/modutils), the culprit is probably

        echo -n "$module - "
        MODTOLOAD=`find / -name $module.o |sort |sed -n 1p`
        if [ "$MODTOLOAD" = ""  ] ;then
           module="` echo $module | cut -c-8`"
           MODTOLOAD=`find / -name $module.o |sort |sed -n 1p `
        fi
        if [ ! "$MODTOLOAD" = "" ] ;then
        insmod $MODTOLOAD $args
        fi

It starts its search at /, which is probably fine to detect all sorts of modules in
the directory tree.

I believe this search is overkill, /lib/modules should suffice, as the modules loaded
from /boot are already handled by linuxrc and we should restrict the places where
modules are loaded from.

It is also doubtful to try the cut down module name as

# echo ip_conntrack_ftp.o | cut -c-8    yields ip_connt

which is the same as

# echo ip_conntrack_irc.o | cut -c-8

This IMHO does not enhance the chance to find the correct module and should be done
away with.

This could be addressed in a future release.

cheers
Erich

THINK
Püntenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024 8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16