Tom

At 19:08 01.03.2004 -0800, Tom Eastep wrote:
>On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Mike Noyes wrote:
>
>> Everyone,
>> Here is some relevant news. Can someone take a look at packaging KAME?
>>
>> http://www.freeswan.org/ending_letter.html
>>         After more than five years of active development, the FreeS/WAN
>>         project will be coming to an end.
>>
>> KAME Project
>> http://www.kame.net/
>>

>I fear that Linux IPSEC support is in chaos. The move to support OE in the
>way advocated by the FreeeS/Wan project resulted in an absurd gateway
>routing table and rendered Proxy ARP incompatible with FreeS/Wan.
>
>The 2.6 kernel implementation of IPSEC threw out the baby with the
>bath water.

Are you referring to the native 2.6 IPSEC implementation?

>- Netfilter is totally broken with respect to IPSEC.
>- While it makes OE work reasonably, it makes IPSEC tunneling totally
>different from any other Linux-based tunnel.

Even when OE is disabled? I never considered it to be _that_ important. Possibly
because it is difficult to get a FQDN in Europe nowadays.

>While there is work going on in the Netfilter project to correct the first
>problem, the second seems to be here to stay.
>
>As things currently stand, Shorewall will have minimal support for IPSEC
>tunnels under the 2.6 kernels.

Considering the current 2.4 LEAF distribution (which I doubt will move to 2.6 in a
short timeframe) would it be most reasonable to go with openswan 1.0?

Thanks

Erich

THINK
Püntenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024 8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16