re: mounting various partitions in /linuxrc

I have been thinking more about this issue, and have come to the following conclusion (mantra). Repeat after me:

... linuxrc IS NOT init ...
... linuxrc IS NOT init ...
... linuxrc IS NOT init ...

The sole purpose of linuxrc (IMHO) is to build enough of a filesystem so init can run and bring up the system proper. linuxrc is not the place to be mounting additional filesystems that are not required for init to run. Any non-volitle partitions can be mounted through the normal init and rcS.d methods.

Note that I am unaware of a single distribution other than Bering that mounts /tmp and /var/log as seperate partitions prior to launching init (although obviously it's possible to mount most anything with the disto of your choice once init is up and running).

Even Dachstein mounted /var/log via /etc/init.d scripts (ramdisk.mk and ramdisk.pkg).

IMHO, while we're sort of changing everything, what should really happen is the following:

- The creation and mounting of /var/log and /tmp should be removed from linuxrc and migrated to general purpose init script(s).

- Installation of all but the very core packages (root.lrp, etc.lrp, ???) should be delegated to another new init script that executes once the full filesystem is mounted (avoiding the problem I had with Dachstein of trying to populate a newly mounted ramdisk with data that really belongs in a normal LRP file which was getting installed by linuxrc).

- There should still be some procedural 'hooks' added to allow leaf.cfg to run code after the root ramdisk is created. While I don't have a need for this functionality at the moment, it's not hard to add and won't take a lot of space.

- Support should be added for either *nix or DOS style EOLs in leaf.cfg

Thoughts?

--
Charles Steinkuehler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials Free Linux tutorial presented by Daniel Robbins, President and CEO of GenToo technologies. Learn everything from fundamentals to system administration.http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1470&alloc_id=3638&op=click