Hi!

I recently got myself a Linksys WRT54GS/OpenWRT box as a backup
solution for my PCEngines WRAP/Bering uClibc box (to maintain the
service while updating the box, or demoing it somewhere else).

When I was setting up OpenWRT (http://openwrt.org/), I noticed a few
things:

- Both OpenWRT and BU are built on a Linux kernel and uClibc.
- Both use the uClibc build root, and the .mk files look quite similar.
- Both a floppy-based BU on a PC with 4MB RAM and OpenWRT face serious
  space limitations.

- But 6wall is only in BU, and some other stuff only in OpenWRT.
- To package a certain piece of software, I have to build two packages.

I wonder whether it is possible and desirable to have a build system
which builds a base system image and packages for a Linux/uClibc based
OS running on completely different kinds of hardware:

  1. Standard PC booting from
     a) floppy
     b) harddisk
  2. Embedded PC board without keyboard, with special devices
     (HW watchdog)
  3. Broadcom/MIPS based routers like the Linksys WRT54G(S)
  4. Embedded boards running PPC, ARM, whatever...

It seems that I'm not the only one who ever thought of that. In the
OpenWRT developer forum (http://openwrt.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=2)
there is a thread (http://openwrt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199) about
OpenEmbedded (http://openembedded.org/oe_wiki/index.php/OpenEmbedded)
which tries to do something quite similar...

Does anyone else from the LEAF devs think that this may be an
interesting idea to pursue?

GruÃ,

Uli