Hi Eric,

--- "Eric Spakman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

> > Yes you do lose, having the configs in separate files but you
solve alot
> > of other things.
> >

> There is a very big problem with seperating the configs from the
packages

> itself. You loose the consistency between the two. For example, if
you

> update shorewall from version 2.x to 3.x (where the format of config
files

> change), shorewall won't work anymore. Also with other programs
config
> files, formats and items change between releases.

While Tom posted a comment to your specific example, your point is
well taken.  Even if /shorewall/ doesn't have this problem, there are
cases where other things do.

>From someone who's had to address this very issue with several hundred
routers, the stupid-simple answer was to extend apkg to look for a
/var/lib/lrpkg/<pkg>.upgrade shell script.   Its kinda like a
"pre-install" "post-install" script from other package managers.

After upgrading a config file, it was tagged with the version of the
current .lrp (e.g. #apkg updated this config file to version 2.1.3);
the <pkg>.upgrade script then looks for the "version x.x.x" tag next
reboot and updates or not as needed.

At first it sounds scary, but In real-life, I've seen some cases where
configs are 3 rev-levels back - they get upgraded on the fly and work,
and the local tech never remembered to "save changes to disk" ;-)

Your point is well taken, but a simple lrp
"[pre|post]-[upgrade|install|remove]" extension might solve much of
that problem.

> An other, maybe less important problem is that when you "try" a
package

> the config file of that package will polute the local repository of
config

> files (after you delete the package, the config files are still
present)
> while with config inside a package this won't be the case.

Agreed.  sfic is a direct result from the comments received from the
"itsy configuration management system" proposal. sfic allows for
operations on a subset of the entire database, rather than the entire
database as a whole.  So it should be possible to maintain a lists of
"what should be installed", "what is installed", and "what changed
from what would have been installed if I just exploded all my .lrps on
a ramdisk."  Then its just the problem of allowing the  administrator
to figure out what he wants to do with all the files on his system.