Hi Erich

On 01/18/2012 10:56 AM, Erich Titl wrote:
> Hi Per
>
> at 18.01.2012 08:32, Per Sjoholm wrote:

>>> Hi Per, hi to everyone;
>>>
>>> pls see:
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/leaf/ticket/2
>>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/leaf/ticket/57
>>>
>>> Any help is welcome.
>>>
>>> regards kp
>> A workable solution for Ticket 2 and 57 is needed and it's seems straight
>> forward.
>> I suspect that it's more to it that meets the eye hence the time.
>>
>> A first step with a simple solution that can be refined when we see the
>> overall consequences.
>> lrp format is a tar.gz and if we add a file that can be used at install time
>> to it.
>>
>> I would suggest a stepwise approach.
>> Break down into smaller parts that can be implemented stepwise.
>> Build the unix way ie build a program that uses existing parts like apkg.
>>
>> When the parts are working together,
>> then we can consolidate and also chose a different implementation if needed.
>> Maybe use python as a base for system mgmt tasks, it has most of what we
>> need.
> Not another piece of bloatware please.
Really, with python you can build appliances !
And also servers.
And it's commonly used for System Management tasks.

How are you going to read xml with awk, sed or shell  without getting messy?
xml as in configuration files.

  You can use perl and python is more well defined.
>> A file that can be handled with available shell, sed, awk, perl  or just use
>> make.
> Yes, but its another big piece.
>
> I would rather suggest to add some preinstall/postinstall scripts which
> by themselves just call apkg with the correct parameters and can be eval(ed)
>
> keep it simple stupid

I'm not convinced of the simplicity with pre/post install script you add logic
to each .lpr
instead of data. You also have to change every packages to do it.
Give me an example how it would work with pre/post install script calling apkg.

>> Maybe a kind of MetaData/Manifest that states what is Required and list
>> files with a sha256sum.
>> This Manifest can be signed with a Key.
> Which has another prerequisite, which may or may not be available at
> system start.
>
> cheers
>
> Erich
Cheers