Am 13.04.2015 um 21:04 schrieb kp kirchdoerfer:
> Hi Erich;
>
> Make shure you have the Bering-3.14.36-config -xxx.patches, otherwise
> apllying
> the patches will fail. This happended to me after your new config, therefor I
> had to create the new patch files.

Yes I know, sorry about that. Unfortunately there seems to be some kind
of a breach in the generation of the config files.

I recently pulled the latest git state and found that the
Bering-3.14.36-config still dated from an earlier version, despite the
patch files contained the latest changes. This surprised me, as I
concluded, that base Bering config files themselves were never updated.
I also saw that some common options were all done in the atch files and
not in the base Bering-release-config.

Another thing that really puzzles me is

mega@leafbuilder:~/leaf/devel/bering-uclibc/source/i486-unknown-linux-uclibc/linux$
diff Bering-3.14.36.config ../../../repo/linux/Bering-3.14.36.config
1169c1169
< # CONFIG_CFG80211_REG_DEBUG is not set
---
> CONFIG_CFG80211_REG_DEBUG=y
1172c1172
< CONFIG_CFG80211_DEBUGFS=y
---
> # CONFIG_CFG80211_DEBUGFS is not set
1190c1190
< # CONFIG_CFG80211_REG_DEBUG is not set
---
> # CONFIG_MAC80211_DEBUGFS is not set

So it appears the config file in the source directory is different from
the config file in the repo. These files are not linked neither and I
have trouble understanding this.

Given that a new release often has new features I would expect that the
patch files need to be regenerated whenever there is a release change.
Apparently adding common features to the main config file requires the
same. I do not understand neither why there are architecture dependent
files like Bering-3.14.36.config-geode in the repo directory. I would
have expected to see them generated from Bering-3.14.36.config using the
patch files. Reading the makefile I see how it is done, but I fail to
understand the reasoning behind keeping a copy in the repo.

I inspected the differences between the patch files and found there was
hardly any, for example

4,5c4,26
< > --- Bering-3.14.36.config-i486      2015-04-12 14:09:02.902612880 +0200
< 51c51
---
> > --- Bering-3.14.36.config-i686      2015-04-12 14:09:46.882611473 +0200
> 4c4
> < *** 1,6 ****
> ---
> > *** 1,8 ****
> 9c9
> <   # CONFIG_64BIT is not set
> ---
> > ! # CONFIG_64BIT is not set
> 11c11,13
> < --- 1,6 ----
> ---
> >   CONFIG_X86=y
> >   CONFIG_INSTRUCTION_DECODER=y
> > --- 1,8 ----
> 16c18
> <   # CONFIG_64BIT is not set
> ---
> > ! # CONFIG_64BIT is not set
> 17a20,21
> >   CONFIG_X86=y
> >   CONFIG_INSTRUCTION_DECODER=y
> 51c55
9c30
< 56c56
---
> 56c60

Both patch files contain a LOT of common changes and this makes me
wonder why they are that big then. I conclude that there is very little
common config base but lots of common config patch.

cheers

ET