Hi Folks

I am a bit puzzled how I should proceed with stuff I am doing in maint.
I would like to have my contributions going into it, but I am constantly
being thrown out of sync by what I would call intrusive changes in that
branch. I consider kernel changes intrusive, as it makes recompilation
and tests impossible when the underlying kernel changes often. I could,
of course, branch off and be done with it, but then my changes would not
be available to others to test.

I believe the current setting needs some refinement. I have quite some
experience with linear code management systems, but git is a completely
different beast.

Here just my experience with 5.2

I needed to recompile some kernel code but without me noticing kernel
has moved from 4.1.7 to  4.1.8 and 4.1.9. I consider these changes quite
intrusive as it makes it very hard to work on single, possibly kernel
version related issues when the kernel version changes constantly under
your feet. Basically this means I cannot work on maint and I have to
branch off but then I am cut off the new stuff happening on maint. I
don't see the way out of this impasse but stopping to call things maint
when in fact this is just ongoing work on a future environment.

Let me know how to overcome this.

cheers

ET