Hi KP

I had lots of thoughts this weekend on the way how to make a
configuration system independent of the underlying OS and the installed
applications. Well, I found none that really cuts it especially when I
am looking at the controversy release 5.0.0 of shorwall stirred. the *x
systems unfortunately failed to impose to developers a standardized way
to configure their code.

At the same time the actual configdb is a pretty weak attempt to save
information across releases, as there is no way to predict the decisions
of a developer how to parse the config files. We have seen cases, where
completely correct configs from one release to another failed, just
because someone decided not to accept blank spaces in the config parser.
And very recently a few new lines in fstab made it impossible to log
into a system unless I had a serial console. I do not believe that
running apkg -u with packages from an unrelated release would cut it either.

The above issue could easily be solved if we would not save the entire
config files, but the difference of the active config and the virgin
config in the installed .lrp package. This difference could then be
applied at configdb load and it might indeed improve the portability of
config files. I do not pretend this will save the whole western world,
but it might be an improvement of the existing configuration clash. It
might fail for really heavy configuration file format changes, but it
would probably survive most trivial changes in config files. It would,
of course, require the patch utility to be included as a busybox applet
and quite some tweaking of the apkg script to generate and handle patch
files. On the other hand it would make very small configdb files, but
building them might take a while.

Right now this is just a castle in the air and there are more pressing
issues right now, but I might investigate into it in the near to midterm
future.

cheeers

ET