Lynn

thanks for the reply

I finally got it running, it happened to be an error in the masq file. I masqued to ipsec0 instead of eth0. Tom has done a great job to document shorewall, now either I am not attentive enough to translate all this into a sensible configuration and thus stumble on all those gotchas or it really is still somewhat complex.

My set up is probably not what you would call standard but with wireless being more and more frequent configurations like mine may pop up from time to time, so it might be interesting for others to have an example. I might try to document this.

Erich