Am Freitag, 8. April 2016, 13:41:03 schrieb David M Brooke:
> Thanks kp.
>
> Now I understand what Andrew meant!  -r refers to the number of directory
> entries permitted (like inodes, I guess). From the man page:
>
>     -r root-dir-entries
>     Select the number of entries available in the root directory.
>     The default is 112 or 224 for floppies and 512 for hard disks.
>
> From memory I would have expected 512 to be sufficient, but maybe not…
>
> davidMbrooke

Hi David;

My findings are:

mkfs.(v)fat automatically chooses the best FAT size (12/16/32) for the size of
the partition.

A partition of 500MB is formatted as FAT16 with 512 root-dir-entries by
default.

A 1Gb partition is forammted as FAT32 with no root-dir-entries (by design)

We have long filenames on the iso image (>8.3). In FAT16 the root-dir-entries
may run out of space because of that (root-dir-entries are  also used to store
long filenames) . That's why copying into / stopped at 80MB

It is no problem to copy all the 230MB from iso image to /tmp.

It is also no problem to copy the 230MB into the 1GB FAT32 formatted root,
because FAT32 has a different way to store long filenames.

So either choosing 1GB or enhancing root-dir -entries works...

mkfs.fat has an option to choose the fat_size when formatting a partition ("-F
32" for FAT32 of course).

This does not work on LEAF for whatever reason, so here is the bug :)

But why do I invest time as Linux user to explain other Linux users ancient
Windows filesystem limitations? I could have used Windows if I'm interested in
such problems. I use ext4 on my routers instead.

kp

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11928982/what-is-the-difference-between-vfat-and-fat32-file-systems

has more information about FAT et al.