David Malone wrote:

These two papers, both from the November issue of The Astronomy Journal, may be of interest to people here.

DOES RELATIVISTIC TIME DILATION CONTRIBUTE TO THE DIVERGENCE OF UNIVERSAL TIME AND EPHEMERIS TIME?
        GĂ©rard Petit et al 2008 The Astronomical Journal 136 1909-1912
        http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/1538-3881/136/5/1909

Both are in response to a 2007 paper attributing leap seconds to general relativistic effects rather than geophysical and tidal effects.

This one was posted on my door for a couple of weeks. I've never read a more pointed refutation of a refereed paper. A wonderful example of the self correcting nature of scientific discourse.

The real question is how the original paper made it past the referees and the editor in the first place. It was absolute hooey.

Rob