On Tue 2011/02/01 10:59:26 -0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote
in a message to: Leap Second Discussion List <leapsecs@leapsecond.com>

>> The fundamental problem is that there is no formula for determining
>> when leap seconds occur.
>
>No, the rules for inserting leap seconds are simple enough in
>computation terms. The problem is entirely with the 23:59:60 notation
>being unacceptable to the API design.

Without wishing to downplay the problems you are having with the
Java API, the 23:59:60 notation cannot be said to be a fundamental
problem with UTC itself in the sense I intended.  After all, you
have designed the API for classes that do handle UTC properly.

In the same vein, representing UTC in Julian Date form is a
problem, but not fundamental in any sense.  The API of the SOFA
library shows one way of handling it - http://www.iausofa.org/ .
Representing the 61st second on an analogue clock face is another
problem, again not fundamental - solutions can be found.

Regards,
Mark Calabretta