John Sauter via LEAPSECS <leapsecs@leapsecond.com> wrote:

> One of the links on that page is to the draft of the resolutions for
> the 27th CGPM meeting, in November 2022. Resolution D notes that
> "recent observations on the rotation rate of the Earth indicate the
> possible need for the first negative leap second whose insertion has
> never been foreseen or tested". However, they are calling for an
> increase in the maximum value of UT1-UTC by 2035, which would be too
> late to avoid the negative leap second, if current predictions hold up.

I have just got today's Bulletin A. The LoD term in the equation for more
distant estimates of UT1-UTC is now 24h - 280 µs, down from -270 µs last
week. It has been dropping rapidly again since March, after increasing
slowly for half a year..

My guesstimate for the negative leap second is now end of 2027, and likely
to get closer if things continue like this!

--
Tony Finch  <d...@dotat.at>  https://dotat.at/
Lands End to St Davids Head including the Bristol Channel: West or