This point of view (from Richard’s second citation) is rather backward: “LOD is
the negative time-derivative of UT1-UTC”, whatever its mathematical utility.
And whatever one’s philosophical position on the topic of this list.

I’m a little at a loss for what we’re discussing here. The astronomically
long-term trend is that Earth’s angular momentum is being transferred to the
Moon. This is a list for picking nits, so by all means, proffer issues of the
Earth-Moon barycenter or orbital or spin dynamical effects in the solar system.
But in any event, the overall trend is not for a shortening or flat length of
day but for LOD to lengthen. And for lab-coated acolytes of atomic time to
clutch their pearls over its integral playing bloody hell with UTC.

Why, then, are we seeking additional explanations for effects that act to
restore this overall trend? We were surprised at (and some of us were rooting
for) the possibility of a negative leap second. Now this seems less likely.
Isn’t that the expected (if disappointing for some) result?

A similar answer would apply to the overheated rhetoric in the media about the
Earth’s core “spinning backward”, rather than more accurate but more boring
phrases like “slightly greater excursions from the overall trend than have been
seen in a few decades”. This is to say that there are a lot more immediate
negative effects of AGW than hypothesizing that it is enhancing ENSO (or
whatever the argument is here) and will cause Armageddon via a negative leap
second.

Rob Seaman
Lunar and Planetary Laboratory
University of Arizona