Rob Seaman wrote:
On Jun 7, 2006, at 2:03 AM, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

In the UK in 1750, there were two different Julian calendars in
use: the
day and month enumeration matched, but year numbers changed at
different
dates (1st January in Scotland, 25th March in England and Wales).

I've heard this said, but what exactly does this mean from the point
of view of the people of the time?  Could see how the 1st of any
month would be as good as any other for marking the count of years.
But presumably you are saying something like that the sequence of
dates was:

Right?

Yes, I think that's right.  And, as I understand it, we still keep
that change of year in mid-month but now it's on April 5th for the
change of tax year.  When we switched from the Julian to the Gregorian
calendar the tax year was kept the same length so its date changed.
The tax year we're now in is designated as 2006/07, though, to avoid
confusion.

Ed.