Hello,

I'm a resident of Melbourne interested in reading lots of books, only, I
haven't the financial resources to go and buy myself a whole library of
books to read through. I was wondering if there are any established book
lending co-operatives focusing on "left-leaning" material in Melbourne.
If there are such groups, I'd love to be put in touch, if not, I'm
interested in establishing a participatory, self-regulating book and
discussion group.

The idea I have in mind, failing to find an established network, would
be to generate a list of material sort after by members as well as a
list of material already held by the collective. Perhaps, as a sign of
goodwill, new members could aquire an item from the list of desired
material, so that, as the popularity of such a group increases, the list
of resources can be improved.

I'd guess that a register of the location of materials, as well as any
waiting lists for books already out on loan, would be maintained in a
transparent manor. Essentially, I'm contemplating a collective
organisation of resources that would maximise people's ability to
temporarily obtain radical, obscure, hard to get books about social,
economic and political visions, experiments and critiques etc. with
minimal financial outlay.

An added bonus to accessing books would be the social interaction
generated, leading to a strengthening of social relations within our
community. I'd guess that "hand over" meetings could be arranged in
convenient locations where discussions could take place simultaneously
to swaping books face to face. For example, on a given afternoon in a
particular cafe in the city, ten different people could all arrange to
meet and exchange requested books with each other, discuss particular
books or other topics, organise events or projects etc..

An initial idea I'd love to find or build.

Comments and suggestions are most welcome. Please reply to this list,
or, alternatively, directly to me at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks for your time,

Luke.