>>> Please pass this around far and wide. <<<

This great gig has been generously organised by trades hall.
As there has been little lead up time and we need all the promotion we
can get to make sure we get a great turnout for what promises to be a
fantasitic event!

Hear the soulful music of rising West Papua sensation Black Paradise
performing at Trades Hall bar on the Friday the 14th with PNG/Pacific
music giant George Telek and singer songwriter David Bridie.

Tickets at the door: $12/15.  Music starts at 8p.m.

This will be one of the final Black Paradise gigs before they leave
Melbourne for the Brisbane Social Forum.

Black Paradise's music is an uplifting blend of contemporary and
traditional Melanesian music based around guitars, traditional drums and
soaring four-part harmonies.  Drawing on the spirit of Mambesak and
legendary West Papuan anthropologist and musicologist Arnold Ap, Black
Paradise perform ancient songs, stiring indigenous protest music and
traditional dance from the Land of Morning Star.

"Kami menyani untuk hidup; dulu, kini dan nanti"

"We sing for life; before, now and in the future."

----

http://www.greenleft.org.au/

Black Paradise: `Kami menyanyi untuk hidup' (We sing for life)

BY JASON McLEOD

“Nanen babe nanen babe, Kwin matreuban maska teufyar deiwa teimwa, Aram
usker ma enap aram enap (The morning star appears in the east and will
soon be followed by the sun. The beauty of the sky brings back memories
of home) — from “Nanen Babe” by Black Paradise.

Black Paradise, a group of West Papuan women, are a rising cultural and
musical troupe from Jayapura, the capital of West Papua. A place that
would be a tropical paradise if it weren't for the greed of
multinationals and the actions of the genocidal Indonesian military that
has occupied West Papua for nearly 40 years.

Black Paradise's performances feature contemporary “string band” and
traditional music from different regions of West Papua, including from
Biak, Merauke and Jayapura near the border with PNG. Their string-band
music — a feature of Melanesian culture — is based around guitars, kundu
drums, the ukulele and soaring four-part harmony vocals. The women's
traditional material, accompanied by dance, draws on ancient songs from
their land of jagged and rugged highlands and tropical coastlines, songs
from the bush and earthy throat-based vocals and rhythms played on skin
drums.

The group features songs collected by West Papuan musicologist Arnold
Ap. Ap ventured around West Papua recording the songs and dances of his
people, before he was assassinated by the Indonesian military for
promoting Papuan identity.

Black Paradise's lyrics paint pictures of liberation. All the members of
Black Paradise work for an Amnesty International-type organisation,
Elsham (Institute for the Study and Advocacy of Human Rights), that
investigates human rights in the troubled territory, accompanies local
communities as they assert their rights and educates the rest of the
world about the beauty of West Papuan culture.

Black Paradise sing a song, “Nanen Babe”, in the local Sarmi language —
one of 300 spoken in West Papua — that evokes the ancient legend of
Kumeseri, the Morning Star. Kumeseri gives Manarmakeri, a humble village
man, the gift of peace and renewal. Manarmakeri leaves West Papua on a
journey to gather support to herald in a new age of freedom, peace and
justice.

Jakob Rumbiak, a West Papuan leader now living in Melbourne, who endured
10 years in Indonesia's dungeons and shared a cell with East Timor's
president Xanana Gusmao, says: “Maybe Manarmakeri came to Australia?
Maybe he wants you to join him to help free West Papua?”

Black Paradise appeared at the successful Morning Star concert in
Melbourne on February 28 and performed at the International Women's Day
concert on March 10 at the University of Technology Sydney.

[
Jason McLeod is an activist with the Free West Papua Collective.
Visit http://www.freewestpapua.com/
]

>From Green Left Weekly, March 12, 2003.
Visit the Green Left Weekly home page @