Australian troops secretly attacked Iraqi forces a day before war was
announced by either the US or Australian governments.

SAS units attacked Iraqi positions on the evening of March 18 (Iraq
time). This was 16 hours after President Bush had given Saddam Hussein a
48 hour ultimatum to leave Iraq or be attacked.

The troops had secretly entered Iraq before the attack.

(Source: The Age)

The Iraqi Governing Council appointed by the United States has decided
that family laws should be "cancelled" and issues such as divorce placed
under strict religious law.

The status of Iraqi women was much better than in other Middle Eastern
countries, with laws prohibiting child marriage, arbitrary divorce (in
some countries men can divorce their wives instantly just by announcing
the fact), or official sexism in child custody or property disputes.

The chief US administrator in Iraq, Paul Bremer, has dictatorial powers
and is expected to veto the decision. However the US government is
planning to hand over power (without direct elections) in June.

(Source: The Age)

Victorian taxpayers are paying about $18,000 a week to prop up the Mount
Buffalo Chalet tourist resort, whose private operator has been accused
of financial mismanagement.

Parks Victoria chief executive Mark Stone said payments had been made
since November last year.

Mr Stone said that "whether the chalet is occupied or not we still have
to run the sewerage and water systems up there".

Chalet operator Robert Arnold is at the centre of allegations including
an Australian Securities and Investments Commission complaint, claims
that staff superannuation has not been paid, failure to comply with
payroll tax requirements and failure to pay creditors.

A source told The Sunday Age that employees' superannuation had not been
paid since December 2002, with staff voluntary contributions not being
included in the fund. The source also said that the Australian Tax
Office was owed more than $1 million in unpaid payroll tax.

A former employee of the chalet said that she had received no
superannuation payments since June 30, 2002, and the voluntary
contributions being set aside by staff were not entering the fund. She
said former employees had contacted the Tax Office to check the state of
their superannuation funds. She said there had also been delays of up to
three weeks in the payment of staff wages.

One employee says he is owed more than $10,000 in unpaid leave and other
entitlements. "I don't believe I'll see any of my money," he said.

(Source: The Age)

The suicide rate among US soldiers occupying Iraq is rising, and is now
30 percent higher than the rate in peacetime.

The 21 military suicides so far represent 4.2 per cent of the 496
American deaths in Iraq.

William Winkenwerder, US assistant secretary of defence for health
affairs, said "we don't see a trend there in looking at these cases that
tells us there is more we might be doing".

(Source: Hearst Newspapers, The New York Times)

A mentally ill man who was shot dead by police after attacking someone,
had been trying to get help for days but was ignored by the health system.

Awale Mohamed had been telling people that he was ready to kill himself.

A GP diagnosed Mr Mohamed as schitzophrenic, and wrote an urgent
referral to a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist said he could see Mr
Mohamed in six weeks. St George public hospital in Sydney said they
could not assess him until the next afternoon. When he finally reached
the hospital's mental health unit, he was sent home after an hour's
assessment by a nurse with an assurance that he would be OK, despite
relatives telling the nurse that Mr Mohamed was planning to kill himself
and could hurt other people. The nurse refused to let Mr Mohamed be
assessed by a doctor.

Twenty-four hours later, Mr Mohamed was taken back to St George in an
ambulance, having been shot dead in the street by police.

Mr Mohamed's cousin Sugule said that "he should have got the help that
was asked for, and he should not have died".

(Source: Sydney Morning Herald)

Contracts signed under the government's information technology
outsourcing program are running at least $750 million over budget.

Under the program, government departments paid private companies to do
computer work which would previously have been done inside the
department. Advocates of the free market said that this would be cheaper
and more efficient.

The government has abandoned the program, but contracts that are already
signed are still in effect.

(Source: Financial Review)

Quotes of the Week:

"My time in Iraq has always involved finding things to convince myself
that I can be proud of my actions; that I was a part of something just.
But no matter what pro-war argument I came up with, I pictured my
smirking commander-in-chief, thinking he was fooling a nation".

(Mike Prysner, a US soldier in Iraq)

"You'd be surprised at how many of the guys I talked to in my company
and others believed that the president's scare about Saddam's WMD was a
bunch of bullshit and that the real motivation for this war was only
about money".

(An anonymous US soldier in Iraq)

"Wow, 130,000 troops on the ground, nearly 500 deaths and over a billion
dollars a day, but they caught a guy living in a hole. am i supposed to
be dazzled?"

(another anonymous US soldier)

"My step-son ________ has been in Iraq since March 19th. Last night he
spoke to my husband on the phone (no, not a phone provided by the US
government, an Iraqi satellite phone which he pays for himself). His
unit got hit in a mortar attack. He watched one of his comrades get his
legs blown off. His buddy tied tourniquets around the other soldier's
legs and managed to stop arterial bleeding, luckily he is still alive.

_______ tried to give one soldier (a woman MP) CPR but she died in his arms

_______ said that this is the worst it's been since the "end" of the
war. He said the troops have been given new rules of engagement, and
that they are to "take out" any persons who aggress on the Americans,
even if it results in "collateral" damage. Unfortunately, _______ did
have to kill someone in self defense and was told by his commanding
officer "Good kill."

_______ replied "You just don't get it, do you?".

Here we are...Vietnam all over again".

(the source for all these letters is Mike Moore's website).

All the News that Fits
weekly anarchist news service

visit us on the web - www.apolitical.info

email us ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) to subscribe to our email list.

--

Visit the proposed Leftlink web site at http://www.leftlink.net/