If I'm not mistaken... the "de", "von", "van" are part of the surname and
should be treated as such (despite the fact that the translation is as simple
as
 "of".

If a person is named Wilhelm Von Friesburg - his surname is Von  Friesburg...
Friesburg (supposition) is the name of the place his ancestor  originally
came from.

But then... this debate could be similar to how one loads toilet paper onto
the holder - it's up to the individual.

Happy Hunting...
Pami Taylor