I think the term you're looking for is
"Base Born"

  Gene

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kay Fordham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2007 6:41 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Children out of Wedlock

Richard:

My U.S. birth certificate states that I am illegitimate. My parents were not married, and my mother was told she could not list my birth father even though he admitted paternity (South Dakota). That was some time ago. I have seen a great many birth certificates (California and Iowa) of more recent origin where parents were not married -- there is no mention of marital status. They simply show the birth mother and birth father and other pertinent information. No status is assigned to the child. Perhaps not all states in the U.S. have the same rules, however. The bottom line is that I am legitimate whether or not my parents' liaison was :).

Kay

----- Original Message ----- From: Richard Hallford