I guess I was really wondering what criteria you would use to choose a preferred child who is not a direct line. What would prompt you to prefer one child in a family, and I presume his line, over another child? (As long as I'm using this wonderful program, I might as well learn some genealogy along the line, too.)

I have a family in mind, by the way. Nine children live to adulthood and have descendants, one of whom is my ggrandfather, so he is in bold as my direct line. What would prompt me to choose one of the other 8 children and mark as the preferred line? Is it a family you're currently working, for instance? Or perhaps descendants who are helping on the family file? Or some other reason that doesn't immediately come to mind.

Elizabeth

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cathy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 9:03 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Navigation in the family view

Hi Elizabeth,

You can only set one line as Direct but can set many as Preferred. Where the preferred lines overlap, the last set for a family is the one that counts.

You can click through the preferred line by clicking on the background beside the child list in family view.

In Pedigree View, if you click the arrow on the left, you'll go to the preferred child in the family.

Of course you'll probably want your own Direct line to be the last set as preferred.

Each family automatically has a preferred child - the first one entered. But you can change it by right clicking on the Child you'd like to be preferred and choosing the option from the menu. You can change it for a whole line by using Tools > Set Direct Line as preferred.

Cathy