Hi Elizabeth,

"The To Do List has been mentioned many times since I've joined the list. I'd like to hear how you are using it. Do you make a list as soon as you enter an individual? Do you have lists for the file in general? Do you check your list every time you open your file?"

I use my To Do list to record things that I would like to do when I find myself in a position to do so. Such as birth registrations/certificates that I will one day purchase - I record the index details when I come across them so that when I'm in the mood for making the purchase, all the individuals that I've found that information for are there ready to choose from. When I come across someone new in my tree that I'd like to at least find the index information, I'll enter an item for that if I can't do it straight away.

I don't make a To Do list as a matter of course for any particular individual as soon as I've entered them into my Legacy database, though if I were still working on finding out who my direct ancestors back to the early 1800s were I might enter the basics of births, marriages and deaths for them that I didn't already have on hand. (One day I will start trawling through microfilms of church records, and that will open up a whole new area to me, which I knowingly ignore for now) I tend to be entering new individuals who are more removed from my line these days, who I'm usually happy to simply accept the information given to me by a distant cousin, sourced as having come from them.

I have some general To Dos, usually things like trawling the NZ birth, marriage & death registers for a particular surname in my tree. When you've got a distinct surname and a small, relatively young, country, this can be very useful to have on hand!

I don't check my To Do list every day. I check it when I feel like spending a little money, or am going to visit a particular repository. Or to check if I've thought of a particular search before, in case I've already done it.

Don't delete items from your To Do list when you've done them. Mark it as closed, so you can refer back to it in the future, when you've forgotten about it, and avoid repeating your efforts.

Hope this helps.  :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy Howard
--