 To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
 Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 1:37 PM
 Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Merging family files, advantages/disadvantages

 Hi Colin,
  I too, started out with separate files for my family based on my parents
 and my husband's parents. As you said, each file was easier to keep on
 separate floppies for backup.
With the advent of CD's and DVD's and portable harddrives for backup, space
 is no longer issue. Also Legacy is different to FTM in that it links to
 multimedia files (photos etc) rather then including the actual file in its
 database which FTM used to do. This means that your legacy backup file can
 be small even if you have a lot of people in your file. Some people have
 many thousands of people in one file.
 I now combine all my family into one file for the reasons below.
1. You only have to update someone once, for example your children might be in 2 or 4 files - with 4 files you might need to update their information 4
 times. If you only have one file, you only update once.
 2. Intermarriages between family members. It was common for families to
intermarry. I have many instances where cousins have married this would now
 make it very difficult to split my file and siblings within two families
 have married. - two brothers to two sisters etc.

Legacy also has the ability to have two or more unconnected trees within the same file. Say you have a great uncle Thomas Moore, you find information on
 a Tom Moore in the same town but you don't know if he is your Thomas. You
can enter his information as a separate person or tree. If later you confirm that they are one and the same you can merge their information. If you find
 that they are different you can document your finds and delete what you
 don't want to keep.
 I hope that this helps.
 Regards
 Anne