On 1 Jul 2008 at 23:00, ronald ferguson
<LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com> wrote:

> One should also note that the accuracy does vary quite a lot with
> resolution of the map - the higher the resolution the more accurate.

For anyone that is interested in getting their mapping side done as best as
possible, I wrote a small application & have put it on my website at:

http://www.jodael.com/gedtokml.exe

To use it, all you need to do is Export a gedcom file in Legacy 7 format to
your computer, run my application pointed to the .GED file & it will create
a .KML file. This kml file can be opened in Google Earth (just double-click
on the kml if you have Google Earth installed) and creates a red cross for
all the mapped locations in your gedcom. This makes it easy to spot places
where the geocoding has gone crazy - I've found places that should be in
Scotland ending up in the Sinai and places that should be in South
Australia ending up in Africa.

The app is free & only tested on my own gedcom so far so may very well have
bugs. Also, first time I am using Visual Studio 2008 to compile an
application - it seems to run ok on the 4 computers I have here without
requiring an installation package but this may be because all the computers
I have here already have the correct .Net framework installed. Others may
not so let me know if it doesn't work & you want to help me find out why.

Sorry if some say that it is not on topic for the forum, but I think it is -
 it's a helper app using the Legacy output to allow easier viewing of the
data. There is currently no way to get the data back from Google Earth to
Legacy if an error is found - that still needs to be done manually. I am
hoping that a future version of Legacy will have a feature like this built
in.

Dave