From: k...@legacyfamilytree.com [mailto:k...@legacyfamilytree.com] On Behalf
Of Cathy Vallevieni
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 10:48 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Need overall help

I realize you are working with English towns, and I've mostly worked
with specific addresses in USA towns, but here's my 2 cents worth:

For places that I want to know exactly the address and that I want to
map to that exact address, I enter them in the long description
as:  City - 123 Main St, County, State, Country

And in the short description field I enter:  123 Main St, City, State
(usually abbreviate the State to CA).  This looks better on reports
so I always select "Use Short Location Names" for reports.  If the
use of the report requires the full city, county, state, country for
some reason, that can be selected for that specific report.

The reason for reversing the city and street address in the long
description is so it can be found when looking at the Master Locations List.

I sometimes even put the name of the cemetery or the name of the
church where they were married instead of the street address and plot
it to that location (don't have to only use the address).

Many don't like muddying up the locations with the street address but
I like seeing where they were born, lived, married, buried, etc.  I
also can see how close different family groups lived to each other,
etc.  Sometimes I can even get an idea if they were doing better or
worse as the years went along by looking at the neighborhoods on the
map. I also like seeing if they lived downtown or in the tenements or
lived in the country or in a rural area and may have lived on a
farm.  In one case, the family story was the house was "on a hilltop"
(and upscale).  Turns out it was close to downtown and not on a hill
at all.  In another case the family story was the husband walked to
his store each day but the address I had was far from the store
location.  After more research, I found a different address in a City
Directory that was 3 blocks from the store location which I felt was
the correct address.

If it's an indirect relative, I will put the address or name of
cemetery or church in the + address field instead of in the main
location field because I don't care about mapping them or creating
more locations on the Master Location List.

Cathy Vallevieni
Orange County, CA