Jenny - If I created a new source with all the data I wanted that 'mirrors' an
older one, and then combined the older one with the new one, would all the
sources be changed to the new source?  It seems to me that I have tried this
and the data is now reflected with the new source.  Could you elaborate on the
consequences of this?

Bob

---- Jenny M Benson <ge...@cedarbank.me.uk> wrote:

> > I was wondering if I could change the "specific" Master Sources I created
> > (e.g., Giovanni Barberi's Civil Birth Record, 22 Jan 1833, Cerreto
> > Sannita, Italy) and transform them into a "general" Master Source (e.g.,
> > Civil Birth Records 1809-1860, Cerreto Sannita, Italy).  If I can do that,
> > it will make my effort much easier.
>
> It's easy enough to amend or edit a Master Source and then EITHER save it
> to overwrite the previous version OR save it as a new version with a
> different name.  If you take the former option, you will then need to go
> to each person using that Master Source and change the Source Details as
> appropriate.  If you take the latter option, no one will be using the
> newly created Source and you can then go through your file attaching that
> new Master Source as required, with appropriate Source Details.  In that
> case, you will probably also be deleting the old Source from some people.
>
> Having said that, I would think about how many people and Sources you have
> entered and decide whether it is worth starting again from scratch.  You
> do not need to re-enter all the individuals' data, just delete the Master
> Sources, create new ones and attach as required.
>
>   Also, since I have created specific
> > Details associated with each specific Master Source, could I amend those
> > Details to include more detail and link them to the appropriate "newly
> > created" Master Sources?
>
> If you edit a Master Source and re-save it with the same name, you can
> then go to anyone using that Source and edit the Source Details.  But if
> you delete a Master Source you will also delete any Source Details
> attached to it and if you create a new Master Source (either from scratch
> or by amending an existing one) there will be no Source Details to edit.
>
> --
> Jenny M Benson
>

> Legacy User Group guidelines:
>    http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp
> Archived messages:
>    http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyfamilytree.com/

/Users/robertrunion/Desktop/eMail Icons/signature.pdf