Okay,  I think I am still making this way harder than I think it should
be...

I am trying to have one source/source detail about a census record applied
to multiple family members.

Individual 1 - I enter an event, click on the source icon and using the
source writer create a source and the source detail.  [That is all okay]

Then,
Individual 2 - I enter an event, click on the source icon and click on 'cite
a master source'.  Finding my source in the list I highlight it.  I then can
click select and it prompts me to enter the source detail.  (it is here that
I though Ron was suggesting that I click 'save' on the source detail screen
which is just saving a blank detail screen.)

I just want to re-use the same source detail that I have already recorded
for individual #1.

(Is there any way to do this from the master source list???  I'd like to be
able to scroll through the master source list, highlight that source and
then scroll through the perhaps numerous source details attached to that
particular source and be able to select appropriate one).

I then played around some more and tried out the source clipboard that I
have never used before.
Is there any way to access the source detail other than going back to the
original person, going into his specific source, copying it onto the
clipboard, closing individual #1, going to individual #2, opening his events
and pasting the source from the clipboard?  That seems to be an awful lot of
steps to just add a source with the source detail.

Angela