I need to ask a question concerning your semantics involved with your
questions. I've talked with others before and sometimes they get "Ancestry
Family Trees" mixed up with "Ancestry's RootsWeb". They are two completely
difference services, one is fee based and the other is free. Legacy has a
file menu item that will allow you to easily and practically automatically
upload your file to "Ancestry Online Family Tree". If you are uploading to
"RootsWeb", then it's a multiple step, manual operation that is required to
get your GEDCOM file onto the RootsWeb server.

What's the difference between "Ancestry" and "RootsWeb"? They are both
GEDCOM based genealogy servers owned by Ancestry.com (thus the confusion).
"Ancestry" or more properly called "Ancestry Family Trees" is a subscription
based server but will allow "registered guests" to upload their files (which
is what happens when you use the file menu item from Legacy). If you are not
paying for a subscription to Ancestry Family Trees, Legacy will allow you to
upload a GEDCOM that is automatically created. You can view your own file on
the Ancestry Family Tree server but you cannot do any searches or view the
trees of the paying customers. Each time you try to do so, you'll get the
infamous Ancestry "Upgrade Now" web page instead. In addition, a "registered
guest" cannot contact any of the other members that have posted family
trees. The subscription fee for a "Annual World Deluxe Membership" is
$299.40. Complete info about "Ancestry Family Trees at
http://www.ancestry.com/.

The "RootsWeb" server is officially called their "World Connect" service and
is a free service to anyone that wants to create a free account and then
upload their GEDCOM file using the RootsWeb web page interface to upload the
file. Each family file on RootsWeb is open to everyone and is 100%
searchable without any subscription fees. Complete info about
"RootsWeb/World Connect" at http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/. (Notice that
the word "ancestry" appears in this URL thus the confusion.)

So what's the difference between the two types of servers? The "Ancestry
Family Tree" accounts will allow you to upload multimedia files attached to
a person including photos, audio, and video as well as create descriptive
stories about a particular person or family. The "RootsWeb" server displays
only pure GEDCOM 5.5 text data, no images.

OK, now that I've defined the two types of confusing "Ancestry" servers, to
which one are you trying to upload your file?

Brian in CA