Like one or two others, I have been experimenting with downloading a GEDCOM file from Ancestry to see how the sources are imported.

Well, the first thing to note is that they import in Basic Format!

Having said that, I notice that the import procedure seems to have one or two problems with a particular, Ancestry-defined tag - _APID. Does anyone have any idea what this tag is trying to convey? It's not al all obvious from an examination of the downloaded GEDCOM text, what the tag is all about.

In the LOG file generated from the import procedure, I see many messages of the following form:-

    Main Record: 0 @S1029350835@ SOUR
* Unrecog. Line for a Source  Record: 1 _APID 7572
  Placed in  Note : _APID 7572

These, together with one or two more explicit errors that I can't correct

    Main Record: 0 @P4193015077@ INDI
  Sub Section: 1 SEX M
* Unrecog. Line for an Individual  Record: 2 SOUR @S1029764659@
  Placed in  Note - James W P Wall: SEX: SOUR @S1029764659@
  PAGE Class: RG10; Piece: 1800; Folio: 159; Page: 28; GSU roll: 838798.
NOTE http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1871&h=14518996&ti=5538&indiv=try&gss=pt
  NOTE
  DATA
TEXT Name: James W P WallBirth: abt 1865 in Cley, Norfolk, EnglandDeath:
                 _APID 7619::14518996

--
Best regards,
Mike Fry