Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 13/08/2010 01:51, Ron Ferguson wrote:
>> I have never created an Event for Wills and Probates thereof  (a bit
>> of legalese there) but only used them as Sources, linking each to the
>> individuals mentioned in the will. My reasoning being that the
>> granting of probate is, strictly speaking, not connected to the
>> person who wrote the Will, since at this point in time s/he is
>> deceased.
>
> That's interesting - and helpful.  I have "dealt with" a few Wills and
> in a couple of cases had included details of the Probate as an Event
> for the Testator because the Legacy-provided Sentence seemed to be
> written from that point of view.  However, now that you say it I see
> that it
> makes entirely more sense to have a Probate Event only for the
> Executor(s).
>
> (Mind you, by your reasoning one should not attach an Obituary or
> Memorial Inscription Event to a deceased person, but to the person who
> wrote same!!!!)

Not quite, Jenny, because an Obit or memorial is *about* the deceased
whereas the granting of probate isn't. The Executors to a Will may, of
course, be a Bank or Solicitors.

Ron Ferguson

Since the availability of the Probate Records I have been adding a Probate
Event to the deceased as it allows me to show who they chose as executors
and how large (or small) their estate was.  I feel that this helps build up
a picture of my ancestors which is what family history is all about.

Barbara