Thankyou John for your wonderful explanation.

I feel this is the right program for me.  I was just wondering how I
'update to the legacy database to reflect all of my changes made'

I am using a mac with parallels and use Legacy family tree latest
version.  I do not expect Families to be the same as Legacy but
am I right in saying it is like a holding/viewing program, and from
there
I need to use  'Families Sync free program' to upload my data to
the ipad.  It seems to me I have to upload to Families, and then
to the sync program? to view it on my ipad.

Appreciate your time with this, before I go ahead an buy it at
$19 for the ipad.  What a clever invention.

Regards
Gwen