I do not recall ever studying Independent Cities when I did American History in
my Uni degree, so I will research this myself off list. Here in Oz, we have
states, no counties, only Cities and Suburbs (aka Towns). The only similarity
to a County we have are Councils/Shires that are groups of Suburbs/Towns but
that's a political jurisdiction not geographical.

End of rant. Getting OT.

Kind Regards
Mark Lang