I have thousands of file names with spaces in them because I like the
look of it better. IF I should ever decide to put them online, a free
program called Bulk Rename Utility can change the names of files (i.e.
add hyphens or underscores) in a matter of minutes to tens of thousands
of files at once, so don't be paranoid on this issue.
--
JL Beeken
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists

On 10/14/2012 5:16 PM, Ron Ferguson wrote:
> Bob,
>
> Just a quick piece of advice for those who may at some time consider creating
> a website - do not have spaces in your file names, use an underscore or
> hyphen instead, otherwise they may well not work.
>
> In fact it is best only to use alpha-numeric characters in addition to the
> above two.
> Ron Ferguson
> http://www.fergys.co.uk/
> GOONS #5307
>

> "Robert Austen"<rgaus...@telus.net>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Ellen,
>>
>> Regarding photos... please remember that the RIN# only means something if
>> the person looking at it has YOUR Legacy file - even then the number can be
>> changed.  You also need your Legacy file, and the Legacy program, to look up
>> the number.  This applies to MRIN #'s as well.  Have a look at John
>> Zimmerman's recent posts about naming - well presented and good food for
>> thought.  I file photos by birth name - "last name, given names, dates -
>> other info" such as "Adams, Marjorie Alice 1896-1962 - Birth Certificate"
>> Anyone can find their way through my file without a program or an index.  I
>> also make good use of the IPTC info section embedded in digital photos for
>> additional info.
>>
>> Congratulations on the work you are doing.  I am the unofficial 'keeper of
>> the tree' in my family.  I have a couple boxes of poorly organized documents
>> however, everything has been scanned and everything is kept digitally in my
>> file and reasonably well organized.  I also am aware that the DVD's that my
>> data is stored on will one day be obsolete and the data could be lost.  Most
>> of my family is fairly interested in some of the information but not
>> genealogy per se.  My wife had a great system of filling paper documents but
>> had over seventy 4" binders with about 1500 family members.  I know my small
>> local public library would NOT be interested in them even though we have a
>> great genealogy section (about one half of one floor).  I have close to
>> 30,000 family members in my file, 18,000 items in my picture file, and
>> 26,000 in my document file.  How does one do a paper system for that?  I
>> would need the whole library to store my data on paper!
>>
>> A few years ago we had a 'family reunion' with about 20 members.  My
>> (limited, at that time) genealogy info and charts were a great hit.  I had
>> also asked most to give me a short story, or testimonial, about themselves
>> and many responded - some at great length.  I think it's time to send the
>> request out again!
>>
>> Keep up the good work.  Regardless of where mine ends up it is a fascinating
>> hobby and I have been blessed by all the people I have met along the way.
>>
>> Bob

ect to have the book ready just 4 years after being elected.  Hopefully we can
have much more of the articles and things scanned and in the next book in 2020.
 Forty years is way to long for people to wait for a book with the last 15
years having someone in charge who doesn't even own a computer.