Ron, the issues with linking files are the problems that come up with
either renaming them or moving them to other folder locations.

As I've seen expressed here, some people file in a multitude of folders
and sub-folders. Moving hundreds of file-paths would not be easy.
Renaming thousands of files even worse.

The original OP was looking for a system to 'get started'. Someone just
starting out may not know enough to settle on their own 'perfect system'
from the get-go so linking files can complicate their process of discovery.

One shortcut in this regard: It's not necessary to browse to each file.
You can drag and drop files into the galleries. It doesn't always work
on the first try or second or third, but with persistence ...
-----
JL Beeken
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://jlog.jgen.ws/