  From: Paul Gray
  To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
  Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:49 PM
  Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] What happens if linked person deleted in Family Search

  I think we are talking about different links. What I am referring to is the
link that is created when in LFS I click on the button ‘this person is the same
as mine’. That tells my Legacy file (and only my Legacy file) that as far as I
am concerned, RIN 1234 in my file is the same person as Family Tree person id
P21X-J6L, or whatever. (that person id is made up, although it might really
exist in the file).

  Yes, I do carefully evaluate all potential duplicates of P21X-J6L, and merge
as appropriate. I usually end up keeping data and events from multiple person
id’s as there is usually valid data (verified by outside historical records) in
those records. i.e. one might have two of the five children, and another person
id the other three children.

  Anyway, I do my best and at the end to the best of my ability I have person
P21X-J6L that to the best of my knowledge is the only valid record for this
person.

  Somebody then comes along and disagrees with me, and merges P21X-J6L into
someone else. My link in my Legacy file from RIN 1234 now points to a deleted
(merged) person id in Family Tree. Similarly, it’s possible that some other
Legacy (or Roots Magic or whatever user) currently has a pointer in their file
to a record I deleted/merged into P21X-J6L.

  I’m not questioning whether this should or shouldn’t happen, as there really
is no alternative with a shared database. I’m just asking if LFS detects this
kind of thing, or whether we just find out whenever we next try to access the
record in LFS.

  Paul