John,

Use split-screen drag and drop.  You'll have to make sure the old file
has a different name than the newer file so you don't get the two
mixed up. I'd append "old" to the file name.

Open the file that you want to copy into go to View > Split Screen to
open a second window and select to open the older file.

If you don't rename it, Legacy won't recognize it as a different file
and won't let you copy

You can find details in the Help file in Legacy under Copy: Drag and drop.

Sincerely,
Sherry
Technical Support
Legacy Family Tree