I don't think there is any easy way around this
but it sounds like a bug in the intellimerge function.

Is every marriage of people who were merged duplicated?

Re the process of removing the duplicate - it's spelt out in the Help.

Note that when you relink any children you've
orphaned, have the parents in the main view and
link to existing child. If you start with the
child make sure you link to existing PARENTS and
not to existing father or mother or you'll create extra marriages to Unknown.

Cathy

Married to the Same Spouse More than Once

If an individual is listed as being married to
the same spouse (with the same RIN) more than
once, you may want to remove the duplicate with
the fewest or no children.  (You probably would
not want to remove a duplicate entry if the
couple remarried.) Write down the names and RIN
numbers of all children by each duplicate marriage before you proceed:

  To remove a duplicate entry:

1. In Family View, move the couple into the Husband and Wife position.
2. Click the button (lower-left corner of Husband
screen).  The Wives of... window opens.
3. Highlight the duplicate wife entry to be
removed and click the Unlink button. Another
window opens showing the spouse and children.
4. Click the Yes button.
5. If these steps resulted in a marriage to
"Unknown" it is because there were children linked to the marriage.
6. In the Wives of ... window, highlight the "Unknown" spouse and click Delete.
7. Another window opens, showing the spouse and any children. Click Yes.
8. Reconnect each "orphaned" child by relinking
him/her as an existing person already in the file.