Yes, The document itself is original, however, the fact of her birth you would
have to go by who supplied the data for the birth date to determine if it is
Primary or Secondary evidence. If the provider of the info was not your
grandmother or her parents then the data is not Primary source.

From: Paula Ryburn
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2014 6:17 PM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: [LegacyUG] Source Quality questions

I'm working on a very focused research project, just one question, and doing it
the "right" way per two recent Legacy webinars & the Geneal. Stds. book, to
test out some of the new v8 functionality--namely Source Quality analysis on
the Source Detail citations.  See how it works for this one person, then update
the rest of my folks.

Research question is "When was my grandmother born?"
One document I have is the original Certificate of Registration of American
Citizens, which lists my grandmother's birth date (among other things).
When entering the citation for her birth date, I was puzzled on the first
Source Quality item:

Source - Original, Derivative, Authored or IDK.

At first I put IDK, because this document is not her birth certificate--not the
first documentation of her birth date, and it's not a derivative as Legacy
describes it on the screen or "authored" either.
Now I'm thinking I may have over-thought that.

It IS the original (not even a photo copy) of this certificate--even if the
purpose of this document/certificate is not to record her birth date (at least
not only).
So, I would indicate "original" in Legacy, right?

Thanks!
--Paula

--
Russell G. Strong
P. S. Check out Legacy Family Tree today! This full featured genealogy program