Hi Ron,
Have you got confused in your terminology?
If you have an 1880 Census Master Source, then you wouldn't attach an
image for a particular family to the Master Source though you may add it
to the Source Detail (Citation).

On the other hand you may attach it to the event itself.
I wouldn't attach a census image to an event as in reports they are too
small to be legible unless you've cropped a small section.

For that matter I don't attach this sort of source to the source detail
either. I do a full transcription and then file the image under
Genealogy Images/Census where I can retrieve it quickly if needed. With
census images far more easily accessed online, I don't even save them
unless they are particularly significant in establishing some
relationship or other detail.

It really depends how you want to access the image again and how you
output your data.

Cathy