From: W. Bruce Matson
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 9:22 AM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: [LegacyUG] Scandinavian locations...

....and speaking of proper sequencing of "locations", anyone there with Finnish
lineage? As you may know
it wasn't until about 1923 that the government of Finland made it mandatory to
have only one surname.
Up until then every time a person moved from farm to farm (and this sometimes
was frequent) the new
"farm name" was taken as a surname. This, alone, could present a problem. What
surname to use? I use the last name known,
although sometimes I might enter it like this: Tarvainen/Pajunen/Matson. Then,
regarding the towns or villages
they might have lived in, I'll use the last village known and enter the other
towns/villages in the Notes.
   How do others of you with Finnish and maybe Swedish naming systems handle
this?

Bruce