I have been requesting Eastern European special characters / diacritics for
years but Legacy has not even added them to their “special character map”, even
in version 8. This is extremely annoying, although I like everything else about
Legacy. Legacy do not even indicate they doing anything to address this
problem- no estimated time frame- nothing.

I want to publish my family history. For years of been keeping a list of
incorrectly spelled names of people and places so one day I can save my work
as a Word document and  do all the “find and replace” actions needed. My list
is however growing out of hand. It’s ridiculous and I’m fed up. Even then, that
might work if wanted to limit my family to selected bits and pieces for
publication in a book, but I could not simply use Legacy to publish everything
on a website.

It has been a number of years since I have compared genealogy software
programs. I think I will revisit this issue and if there is a software program
that compares favourably with Legacy while including diacritics, I will change
to it.

It is gradually becoming easier to trace ancestors in counties like Poland and
Eastern Europeans are becoming more interested in genealogy. Countries like the
US, UK and Australia have a very multicultural heritage which I feel has been
disrespected by Legacy. Unless Legacy caters for various ethnicities or
nationalities, it is purely a matter of time before more progressive software
is developed by others and takes market share away from Legacy.

Why does Legacy not even include Eastern European diacritics in their Special
Characters Map and allow people like me to do a “search and replace” within
Legacy? I could live with that.

John