From: Cathy Pinner
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2015 11:27 AM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Questions about reports in Legacy 8

Linda,

You can share events in Legacy so if your Battle of Cowpens event was shared,
it would report all the people it was shared with.
But I don't think that is what you are describing.
To add the pages you refer to, you'd have to add them in an RTF version of the
report.

You can change fonts and have different fonts for different elements BUT you
need to either use PDF or RTF to preserve them.

A plain text file (.txt) obviously has a font but just one.

Currently in the Publishing Centre you can add Chapters of Special text but it
is just text - no pics.

Take a look at the HELP. Search the Help Index for Publishing

The options for editing PDF files increase all the time. You used to have to
have the full Adobe PDF. There are alternatives now.

Legacy has great reporting options but ultimately, it's a family histo ry
database, not a fully fledged word processor.

Since Legacy 8 Deluxe is currently selling for $19.95 perhaps its worth the
investment. OR recover your Legacy 7. You can download it again (look for a
previous versions link on the Download page) and the sales staff at Legacy
would give you your Customer Code to unlock the deluxe features again if you've
lost that.  There have been some change to reports between 7 and 8 but not
substantial ones to do with the questions you are asking.

You can have Legacy 7 and 8 installed on a computer at the same time. Legacy 7
installs to a different place. Do not install Legacy 7 into Program files.
Legacy 8 is installed into Program Files by default

Cathy

Linda wrote:

  Lets say I have an event - The Battle of Cowpens with a description of
  that battle and a picture - and I have more than one person that was
  in that battle.
  I would like a page in my book t hat shows that picture and the
  description of the event, and possibly tells all of the people that
  were involved in that event. I want the page titled "Battle of the
  Cowpens"
  I have several of these in my FTM book that are in the beginning of
  the book - not with any particular person. I have other "events" such
  as historic churches that many people in my tree went to and a page on
  historic events such as "The Great Fire of Chicago" that I don't need
  attached to any particular person but I need to put a picture (or two)
  and some information about the event.
  I had Legacy Deluxe 7.x a few years back. I don't have it on my
  computer now so I can't remember exactly what it did or didn't do. I
  don't want to buy 8 Deluxe until I'm sure it's what I want. It seems
  like in 7 if I used a text report I couldn't change the font, enlarge
  fonts or change text alignment. Forgive me if I remembering wrong. But
  can I do th ose things in 8?
  I downloaded 8 free but much is disabled and I haven't had time to
  examine everything that I'm curious about yet.
  I know there are workarounds (creating blank pages, making pages in
  another program) but I send this pdf book out often and I like it to
  be current with any new information and I would like to just be able
  to go to the book publishing and export to pdf and it be
  complete...I'm not even sure how I'd add pages from another program
  into a pdf that was created with Legacy :-)
  Thanks for the responses in helping me make my decision.