From: Cathy Pinner
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2016 9:55 PM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Search for Master Source by File ID

Don,

Have you sent in your suggestions? They don't get logged by writing to an email
list. Use the link on the Home Tab.

I only use File ID for hard copy sources and mostly they're in Source detail.
I'm toying with using it more for digital files as I'm rethinking some of my
organisation.

Cathy

Don Quigley wrote:

  Thanks, Cathy.  That would work OK, but I’ll have to keep a pdf “open”
  for quick access and it would have to be updated frequently to be
  reasonably current.  My suggestion would be to add a “Find by File ID”
  search box to the Master Source List.

  …  and while your programmers are at it, why not make the “Find” (by
  Source List Title) box have more flexible search criteria (with wild
  cards?), so that you don’t have to remember the exact spelling of the
  beginning of a title for the first of its “class” to be found.

  Life for me was simple when all my sources were “prefixed” with the
  File ID (ie., 2500 – 1900 US Census…) and all my media files had the
  same File ID in their filename (ie., 2500_IMG.jpg).  But I am trying
  to do away with the Source Name prefix so that source lists sort
  alphabetically by “real” source name, not File ID.  I suspect that
  will help a lot is visualizing sources of a common nature (ie.. all
  1900 censuses will be grouped together in lists).  But it will be
  harder to find sources when I want to make changes to the media
  gallery for a source.

  Thanks again for your ideas.

  Don

  Donald Quigley