I see a couple of issues in your question:
1. women who do not take their husband's last name upon marriage
2. people who have multiple variations of spelling of last name.

When I run into these questions, I have to ask myself what the point is of
recording the information and how to record enough information so someone
else (possibly me) can understand what is going on.

1. if a woman doesn't take her husband's last name at marriage then she
will just be known officially by her maiden name. In the name list it shows
women by both their maiden name and by ALL their potential married names.
If I didn't know that she went by her maiden name, or if I didn't know her
maiden name, I could browse the husband's last name and her name would show
up. It doesn't hurt. In reports, I can make a specific note stating she
didn't change her last name.

In fact, there are many cultures where neither the men nor the women
changed their last names upon marriage.

2. a last name that has various spellings. I pick one variation as the main
family name. Then for each variation I find, I make an entry in the alias
section. That way all of the alias names as well as the 'standardized' name
show up in the name list and I print the alias names in my reports.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 1:07 PM, Curt Barnes <chbar...@winfirst.com> wrote:

> How should I deal with information that looks to corroborate 99% of the
> info I have on an individual or family found on sites like *Genealogy
> Trails,* *Tennessee Genealogical Society (TNGS) *and others* .* They say
> they only transcribing genealogical and historical data and occasionally
> there are references to books and other substantiating sources.
>

> How do I deal with folks names for marriage, divorce and remarriage. I
> have several women who married, took the 1st husband’s name then sometime
> later remarried taking the 2nd husband’s name. Did not change it after
> death or divorce of their husband’s. I input this into legacy but it
> converts the women’s last name to her maiden name in the second marriage.
> Now this presents questions when a marriage certificate for the 2nd
> marriage does not show her 1st husband’s name as matching.
>

> I guess this leads to another possibility. How to deal with women who
> maintain the maiden name thru, 1 , 2, or more marriages. My great
> grandmothers maiden name was Henninger but all her life and 2 marriages and
> 3 children used Heneger as her last name. So far, in Legacy I have been
> using Heneger for her name but questions have already come up by others who
> seen it. For myself I just know the story but how would anyone else? On top
> of that her name Trula (and variations) of Heneger,  Henenger,  Hamilton,
> etc on various documents. Makes it fun but then she was a hoot up until her
> death at 96.
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Curt
>

> --