-----Original Message----- From: Steve Hayes
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:14 PM
To: Legacy User Group
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Use of credit line field in database sources

On 17 Nov 2016 at 11:38, Cathy Pinner wrote:

Steve,
There are specific templates for the GRO indexes but they're hidden in
eg: Birth Records - Certificate - England - Birth certificate Index -
online database.

Aye, but even if I did find it, FreeBMD has Births AND Marriages AND Deaths

The credit line is for where your source got the information - eg your
source may be an online database of transcriptions of parish registers.
The credit line would say which parish register and who holds it. In
Ancestry terminology: Original data.

That's all very well, but why is there then no field for the information
itself?

The GRO index stuff is messy thought about in that way.

I still use a Basic Source for the GRO index. I'm wondering about how
I'll enter the new GRO birth and death indexes accessed on the GRO site
itself which have more information.

I find myself going back to Basic sources more and more frequently, because
Sourcewriter seems so difficult to use. It seems to ask for lots of
information that isn't available, and you end up with nowhere to put the
really important stuff, like where you actually found the information you are
trying to record.

Where you found the information would be the repository and there is a tab for that in the sourcewriter.