I have been on the LUG email list for a number of years and the issue of how to cite sources or which template to use constantly comes up. I am fairly pedantic but when it comes to sources I agree with Geoff Rasmussen- the most important thing is, for readers to know what the source is and where to find it.

I have cited everything from engraving on a Baptismal cup, to copies of Nazi documents provided and translated by the International Tracing Service. It is impossible to have a template for everything but Legacy has many to choose from. I pick the closest to what is appropriate. I also try to be as consistent as possible. You can also add text or comments to any citation to ensure readers know everything necessary.

John

-----Original Message----- From: Mary Leek
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2017 8:59 AM
To: 'Legacy User Group'
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Help With Citing Sources

Dennis,

I don't use the Legacy SourceWriter System, just the Basic Source System so my examples might be formatted differently if using the SourceWriter.

There are many different methods of organizing and formatting your sources. If you plan on publishing, then there are formatting specifics you will want to follow. Otherwise, I feel a source is sufficient if there's enough source information there for someone else to use to track down my source. Many genealogists or family historians prefer to be more structured in their approach. Only you know how much time and effort you wish to invest.

One frequently used source for burial location is the website, Find A Grave. With the new interface, still in beta, they are providing an already formatted citation to place in the source detail when you cite information from a Find A Grave memorial.

Example:
https://new.findagrave.com/memorial/107684300/ralph-johnson-fowler

scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see the link for the citation, contents shown below.

Find A Grave, database and images (https://new.findagrave.com : accessed 13 July 2017), memorial page for Ralph Johnson Fowler (4 Oct 1917–10 Oct 1994), Find A Grave Memorial no. 107684300, citing Mount Kenton Cemetery, Paducah, McCracken County, Kentucky, USA ; Maintained by Glenda & Ken Miller (contributor 47705248)

This example above might give you an idea of how to format a citation for a website.

I use Ancestry.com for a lot of my records research so my source is Ancestry.com for any records I cite which were found and viewed on that site and for the citation, I use the source citation information they always provide at the base of the record being viewed.

For information I cited for an uncle's 1940 Fed Census family entry, my citation would be:

Example:
Ancestry.com. 1940 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA, Year: 1940; Census Place: Weaver, Franklin, Arkansas; Roll: T627_136; Page: 4A; Enumeration District: 24-31

If someone wanted to view the census record I'm citing, the information in the citation is enough for them to find it by going to a local library and using microfilm or whatever other source they use for viewing Federal Census records.

I have a book I own and frequently use, so the book is my source, with all the book information entered for the source, then I simply put the page number in the citation detail where the specific information I'm citing was found. If I want to be more detailed, I might also add in the citation detail 'pension number' or 'death date' or 'name of wife' or whatever information I've discovered and used from this source.

Example source:
Frances T. Ingmire, Arkansas Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications (printed in Signal Mountain. Tennessee, ©1985. pub, by Mountain Press, P.O. Box 400, 37377-0400;
www.mountainpress.com). pg. xx

In my Master Source List for the source mentioned above, my Master Source List name is Book: Arkansas Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications. I don't print this Master Source List Name but using Book: in the Master Source List allows all of my books to sort together in the list and makes it easier for me to quickly find a specific book source. Once I type in Book: the source list jumps to the books and I can quickly spot the book I want to cite.

You are wise to think about this before you begin. I think you can get as complicated or as simple as you want to make things. Try a few different ways of setting up a source and see how it prints and how easy the format is for you to use. Just decide beforehand, then be consistent.

If you want to try and find a book written about this subject, google citing genealogical sources or something similar and you should have a lot of suggestions to look through. The Mills book is quite detailed and I believe the Sourcewriter System in Legacy is closely based on her suggestions.

Here's a link to a helpful list on Cyndi's List that might get you started:
http://www.cyndislist.com/citing/citations-in-genealogy/

Good luck with your project.

Mary