That actually seems to be correct!!

You are attempting to access, as the L:, a folder in a different PC. In
order to do that, your laptop NEEDS to know where the location in your
desktop is, before it can locate the folder. Therefore it does not know
where to point the L: drive to.

Using File Explorer will enable that access, and will remember that you use
the L: drive to access the Legacy folder, and hence you will be able to
access the file directly or through Legacy.

There is a solution to this, as follows

1. On the desktop, on the Legacy folder with your files, you need to set it
up for Sharing and give it a Share Name. You, if you have not yet, need to
right click on the folder and then on Properties. Within the Properties
window, select the Sharing pane. If the folder is already shared, it will
tell you the Network Path of the folder. If it is not shared, it will say
Not Shared and you will need to click on the Share button. You will then
need to attach it to a user, usually your user id or your HomeGroup, and
then click on the Share button. The system will then give you a display
shows that the folder is shared with a Network Path of
\\DesktopPC\sharename, then click on Done to complete the sharing. Note that
the share name may include the folder path to find it.

2. On the laptop, you need to create a short Batch file to make the
allocation of the L: to the shared folder. This just needs two lines, like
these :

net use l: /d
net use l: \\DesktopPC\sharename

The first line will remove any existing mapping to the L: drive. If there
are blank in the share name, you will need to wrap it by quotes - net use l:
"\\DesktopPC\share name".

Save this as a text file with a .bat extension and place it on the desktop.
You can then run that file whenever you need to get access to the Legacy
folder. You can also auto-run it by placing it in the Startup folder, which
is located in C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs\Startup so that the laptop will run it when it boots, but that
would be dependent on the networking and desktop being active by then.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Chris